a riff on fried chicken
It seems as though we’re entering yet another cold and rainy weekend here in Boston. While depressing, it is conducive to getting 2 papers and 1 project done (or at least started).
Thursday night, I decided it was time for some comfort food–or at least my interpretation of it. I wanted fried chicken, but didn’t really have the means of deep frying it. So, I pan fried some chicken thighs that were coated in panko bread crumbs.
panko bread crumbs (or whatever you have on hand)
2 chicken thighs
salt & pepper
1. In a medium saute pan, heat some olive oil over medium heat.
2. Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Break the egg into a bowl, beat it and thin it out with a little bit of water.
4. Put some bread crumbs into a second bowl, preferably next to the one with the egg.
5. Dunk the chicken into the egg bowl. Coat completely. Then, dunk the chicken into the bread crumbs bowl. Coat completely. Repeat if you want more coverage.
6. Saute chicken on both sides until firm when poked.
So, there you have it. It’s a really easy, quick meal, and it’s a somewhat healthier substitute for actual fried chicken.